Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Final Draft # 3


       
Always


           His jaw tightened and the veins in his temples throbbed. His eyes flashed darts at me. The words erupted from his mouth: "I can't believe you would do something like this Claudia. How could you do this to us? Do you never think? Does this mean nothing to you? You're such a stupid, bitch." The hiss in his voice sent shivers down my spine. He held his head in both hands and stared at me, on my knees sobbing on the ground. A hand hesitantly reached out towards me. However, when his fingers neared my flesh, instead of touching, they recoiled as if the very contact would burn them. He rose from the bed and stood to pace back and forth only to settle on leaning against the wall in frustration.

"Do you think so little of me, Claudia? Did you think that if you left, I would never find you? You cannot run from me! It is not possible." He banged his fist against the wall and did not even flinch as blood began to pour from his hand. I looked at him with fear in my eyes. "I didn't mean to hurt you, Matthew. I cannot continue with this relationship if you keep hurting me the way you do. What am I supposed to do when you come home every night drunk to the point where you cannot stand? How am I to continue if you are hurting me and yourself with your careless ways? We are married! Yet, you still think that you are single and have no responsibility. This is a pointless fight and you know it, but you will not admit it. Why won't you let me go?"

He looked at me with confusion in his eyes. Pausing in his pacing, he looked away as if thinking about what I asked him. He places his hands slowly in front of his face and looks at them carefully. "I hurt you? In what way have I hurt you? Never have I touched you in a harmful way. Tell me I have not touched you in a way that has caused you harm!" I looked away from his standing form. Can I bear to answer him truthfully? What would lying do now? "Yes, you have touched me. You have hit me to the point where bruises must be hidden by make-up. To the point where every time you come near me, I am afraid for the sake of my life and your child." I look at him expectantly. The news was out now.

Matthew got a far away look in his eyes as he sat back down onto the bed. His eyes traveled to look into mine. I could only stare as he tries to comprehend what I have just told him. "My child? What are you talking about, Claudia? There is no child." I stand with trembling legs and walk towards him slowly, afraid that he may retaliate again. "Yes, there is a child in me that is yours. I was afraid to tell you because I did not know what your reaction would be. I do not want you to hate me for getting pregnant." I whisper the last part and quickly look away.

I could feel his strong arms wrap around me and I tensed slightly at the sudden contact. "I could never hate you for doing something that is unavoidable. Will we keep it? If I can become a better husband to you, can we keep the baby?" He asked this in such a sincere manner that I am actually thinking about it. What am I to do with this? I looked up from the floor and stared at him. I studied his eyes, and reached up tenderly to push the hair back that hides his face. "I would like to try, yes. But, you have to be honest to your word, you have to try. Will you promise to stop drinking every night? Will you promise to watch your temper?" He grabbed my hands and stroked the back of them with his thumbs, while still holding my gaze. "I promise. Always and forever."


No comments:

Post a Comment